Virtual Event Today: CodeSecCon - Learn to Secure Your Software > Join Event
Connect with us

Hi, what are you looking for?

SecurityWeekSecurityWeek

Cybercrime

SolarWinds Removes Customer List From Site as It Releases Second Hotfix

SolarWinds has released a second hotfix for its Orion platform in response to the recent breach, and the company has decided to remove from its website a page listing some of its important customers.

SolarWinds has released a second hotfix for its Orion platform in response to the recent breach, and the company has decided to remove from its website a page listing some of its important customers.

IT management and monitoring solutions provider SolarWinds revealed this week that sophisticated threat actors compromised the build system for its Orion monitoring platform, which allowed the attackers to deliver trojanized updates to the firm’s customers between March and June 2020. The hackers could then compromise the servers of the organizations that downloaded, implemented or updated Orion products in that timeframe.

Shortly after news of the breach broke, the company informed customers about the availability of a hotfix, but promised to release a second hotfix that replaces the compromised component and provides additional security enhancements.

The company released that second patch on Tuesday, namely version 2020.2.1 HF 2 of the Orion platform, and it has informed customers that no other products have been compromised. The company has provided a complete list of both affected and not affected products, and it has published an FAQ document to answer some of the questions customers might have.

In an SEC filing this week, SolarWinds said it notified 33,000 customers about the incident, but pointed out that only up to 18,000 actually obtained the compromised software.

The attack is believed to have impacted many major organizations, including cybersecurity firm FireEye, which broke the news after the attackers stole some of its Red Team tools, and various U.S. government organizations.

Advertisement. Scroll to continue reading.

According to media reports, the list of U.S. government targets could include the DHS, the Commerce Department, the Treasury, the Defense Department, the State Department, and the National Institutes of Health. Britain’s National Cyber Security Centre (NCSC) says it’s assessing the impact on the UK.

Related: Group Behind SolarWinds Hack Bypassed MFA to Access Emails at US Think Tank

At around the time it released the second hotfix, SolarWinds decided to remove from its website a page listing high-profile customers. The now-removed page said the company had 300,000 customers worldwide, including 425 of US Fortune 500 companies, the top US telecoms and accounting firms, hundreds of universities and colleges, as well as several US government organizations.

SolarWinds removes customer page

Microsoft, which dubbed the attack Solorigate, has also taken steps to protect customers, including through updates for Microsoft Defender Antivirus that should ensure known malicious SolarWinds binaries are blocked.

While it’s still unclear exactly how the attackers managed to breach SolarWinds’ systems, some reports that emerged over the past days revealed security lapses. Reuters learned that multiple threat actors have offered to sell access to SolarWinds systems on underground forums. And one researcher said he informed SolarWinds in November 2019 that FTP credentials belonging to the company had been exposed in a public GitHub repository.

Russia appears to be the prime suspect for the SolarWinds hack, specifically the group tracked as APT29 and Cozy Bear, but the Kremlin has denied the allegations.

Related: Industry Reactions to FireEye Breach: Feedback Friday

Written By

Eduard Kovacs (@EduardKovacs) is senior managing editor at SecurityWeek. He worked as a high school IT teacher before starting a career in journalism in 2011. Eduard holds a bachelor’s degree in industrial informatics and a master’s degree in computer techniques applied in electrical engineering.

Daily Briefing Newsletter

Subscribe to the SecurityWeek Email Briefing for the latest cybersecurity threats, trends, and expert insights.

Click to comment

Trending

Daily Briefing Newsletter

Subscribe to the SecurityWeek Email Briefing to stay informed on the latest threats, trends, and technology, along with insightful columns from industry experts.

Join this live webinar as we explore if detection-first security operations can keep pace with AI, or if it’s time to rethink prevention as the strongest default.

Register

CodeSecCon bridges the gap between dev and security. Discover best practices for secure coding, innovative risk-reduction tools, and safe AI integration to cultivate a true DevSecOps culture. Safely secure your apps!

Register

People on the Move

Daniel Dubowski has been named Senior Vice President and Chief Information Security Officer at Marriott International.

Allied Universal has named Jordan Avnaim Global Chief Information Security Officer.

Cycode has promoted Seth Robbins to President and Chief Revenue Officer.

More People On The Move

Expert Insights

Daily Briefing Newsletter

Subscribe to the SecurityWeek Email Briefing to stay informed on the latest cybersecurity news, threats, and expert insights. Unsubscribe at any time.