Connect with us

Hi, what are you looking for?


Incident Response

Encrypted Messaging App Signal Hit by Brief Outage

Encrypted instant messaging app Signal was hit by a brief outage late Sunday that interrupted services on the platform at the same time as localised interruptions on other social media services.

Encrypted instant messaging app Signal was hit by a brief outage late Sunday that interrupted services on the platform at the same time as localised interruptions on other social media services.

Signal blamed hosting issues for the disruption, which internet outage monitor DownDetector said began at 11:05 pm Eastern Standard Time (0305 GMT), citing user reports.

The site logged reports of interrupted service in the United States, Europe, Hong Kong and other parts of the world.

Service had largely returned to normal by 3:00 am (0700 GMT), according to Signal’s developers.

“Messaging has recovered for 99% of users, but we’re still working on the remaining 1%,” the company said on Twitter.

“Apologies for the disruption, and we continue to work towards full recovery.”

The outage coincided with “degraded performance” in a cloud server owned by Amazon Web Services (AWS) in northern Virginia state, the firm said.

Advertisement. Scroll to continue reading.

“We can confirm that the deployed mitigation has worked and we have started to see recovery,” AWS said in a status report on the disruption.

DownDetector users reported simultaneous outages with some other apps, including dating platform Tinder and popular news and discussion website Reddit.

First launched in 2014, Signal saw a surge in downloads earlier this year after Facebook-owned messaging service WhatsApp tweaked its terms of service and sparked privacy concerns.

Its profile was boosted by a tweeted recommendation by tech entrepreneur and Tesla founder Elon Musk and the app was downloaded more than 100 million times as of March.

Related: Signal Adds Face Blurring Tool to Protect User Privacy

Related: Signal Says Cellebrite Mobile Device Analysis Products Can Be Hacked

Related: Signal PINs Allow Users to Recover Data When Switching Phones

Written By

AFP 2023

Click to comment

Daily Briefing Newsletter

Subscribe to the SecurityWeek Email Briefing to stay informed on the latest threats, trends, and technology, along with insightful columns from industry experts.

SecurityWeek’s Threat Detection and Incident Response Summit brings together security practitioners from around the world to share war stories on breaches, APT attacks and threat intelligence.


Securityweek’s CISO Forum will address issues and challenges that are top of mind for today’s security leaders and what the future looks like as chief defenders of the enterprise.


Expert Insights

Related Content

Application Security

Cycode, a startup that provides solutions for protecting software source code, emerged from stealth mode on Tuesday with $4.6 million in seed funding.


A recently disclosed vBulletin vulnerability, which had a zero-day status for roughly two days last week, was exploited in a hacker attack targeting the...

CISO Strategy

SecurityWeek spoke with more than 300 cybersecurity experts to see what is bubbling beneath the surface, and examine how those evolving threats will present...

Management & Strategy

SecurityWeek examines how a layoff-induced influx of experienced professionals into the job seeker market is affecting or might affect, the skills gap and recruitment...

CISO Conversations

In this issue of CISO Conversations we talk to two CISOs about solving the CISO/CIO conflict by combining the roles under one person.

Data Breaches

LastPass DevOp engineer's home computer hacked and implanted with keylogging malware as part of a sustained cyberattack that exfiltrated corporate data from the cloud...

CISO Strategy

Security professionals understand the need for resilience in their company’s security posture, but often fail to build their own psychological resilience to stress.

Application Security

GitHub this week announced the revocation of three certificates used for the GitHub Desktop and Atom applications.