IT Security and data protection company Sophos today announced the availability of a number of new and enhanced mobile management and protection products for enterprises.
Aiming to provide protection anywhere and on any device, Sophos Mobile Control provides lightweight device protection on a broad range of mobile platforms, including iPhones and iPads, Android, and Windows Mobile devices. Sophos SafeGuard Enterprise, offers provides encryption and data loss prevention (DLP) for desktops, laptops and removable media, now includes comprehensive management of all encryption options that fully supports hardware drives, including Opal, software-based encryption, and hardware encrypted US. Sophos also announced enhancements to the latest version of Sophos Endpoint Security and Data Protection to provide increased performance and protection.
Additional Details on the Updates from Sophos Include:
Sophos Mobile Control – extends device protection to a broad range of popular mobile platforms, including Apple iPhones and iPads, Google Android, and Windows Mobile devices. Designed for IT administrators to simply and quickly secure, monitor, and control the configuration for smartphones running these operating systems, Sophos Mobile Control web-based console:
• Secures mobile devices by centrally configuring security settings, enabling lockdown of unwanted features; and remote over-the-air lock or wipe if device is lost or stolen
• Enables consistent security policy enforcement, strong password policy and lock period, control and installation of applications, blocking use of cameras, browsers, and sites such as YouTube
• Eliminates administrative burden with a self-service portal that allows end-users to register new devices and lock or wipe lost or stolen phones
• Controls the access to corporate email via a secure gate allowing only properly secured and registered devices to access email
Sophos SafeGuard Enterprise 5.60 (SGN) – Provides multi-layered, centrally managed endpoint data security combining encryption and data loss prevention (DLP) on laptops, desktops, and removable media. Its transparent data encryption enhances user productivity while preventing malicious users from reading lost or stolen information or media. SGN prevents endpoint data leakage by controlling access to both physical and wireless interfaces (e.g. USB, FireWire, Wi-Fi) and storage devices (e.g. MP3 players, removable media). The latest enhancements to Sophos SafeGuard Enterprise (5.60):
• Enables faster initial encryption with optimizations by providing up to 30 percent higher read/write throughput on solid state drives compared to the previous version
• Supports Opal self encrypted hard drives managed by the SGN Management Console
• Reduces performance overhead with multiple central processing unit (CPU) processors running in parallel to minimize performance overhead of encryption and decryption
• Simplifies administration tasks enabling them to be easily completed without user interaction and/or the management center application being opened. It also includes active directory synchronization; automatic event log; deletion; and enables scheduling of custom scripts for reoccurring tasks
Sophos Endpoint Security and Data Protection 9.7 (Sophos ESDP) delivers advanced labs intelligence via a unique single agent that accelerates protection against zero-day and web-based threats along with real-time feedback to security and application policy settings via the cloud using Sophos Live Protection technologies. This active protection simplifies the rollout of proactive protection for employees inside and outside the office — allowing them to get the protection they need against today’s fast moving threats such as hijacked websites and targeted malware attacks — without adding additional IT security management overhead. The latest upgrade to Sophos ESDP (9.7) also includes encryption, data loss prevention, network access control, device control, application control, management, and reporting. Furthermore, Sophos ESDP 9.7:
• Provides automatic location-aware intelligent updating for mobile workers – regardless of where they are with no need to configure. Updates are delivered up to 41 percent faster
• Extends tamper protection through additional device control and data loss prevention to help stop users from turning off key Sophos protection features, including anti-virus protection, updates, and client firewall
• Minimizes computer CPU and disk I/O usage during scans to keep end-users productive while optimizing performance when they are active or away, allowing IT to run scans at anytime
“Today, iPads, smartphones, and laptops are everywhere and connected to the web at all times. Mobile technology has allowed today’s workforce to be far more productive but it has also opened up a new can of worms for IT teams as they must ensure that the data on those devices — especially the non-company-issues ones — are protected at all times no matter where the end user is,” said Matthias Pankert, Head of Data Protection Product Management, Sophos.