Social media, use of mobile devices for business, and the economic downturn are posing serious challenges for organizations looking to keep confidential company and customer data within company walls. Email leads the way as the number one method confidential company information is leaked in large enterprises, according to the results of a study released earlier this year.
Sendmail announced an Application to help enterprises protect email messages containing sensitive and private data from leaving the organization, or from being delivered to inappropriate recipients. The Sentrion Connect for Symantec Data Loss Prevention (DLP) App simplifies the integration set-up between the Symantec DLP Network Prevent for Email and the Sendmail Sentrion Message Processor, providing pre-defined policies, reports and configurations.
Symantec Data Loss Prevention helps discover, monitor, protect and manage confidential data wherever it is stored or used, enabling companies to reduce their risk of a data breach, demonstrate regulatory compliance and safeguard customer privacy, brand equity and intellectual property.
The Sentrion Connect for Symantec DLP App allows IT messaging teams to set-up email policies based on criteria provided by the Information Security Group. Once setup, outbound email is first processed by Sentrion Message Processors for initial content scanning, then routed to the Symantec DLP Network Prevent for deep content inspection. If a message contains sensitive information and violates security policy, Symantec DLP modifies the header with instructions, then routes it back to Sentrion. If the email is un-modified, it continues downstream to its recipient. If it has been modified, Sentrion takes a number of actions to secure the message including: quarantining, encrypting, adding disclaimers, adding and removing recipients, routing the message, and more.
“By coupling Symantec DLP products with the Sentrion, we’re giving customers the ability to minimize impact to the messaging architecture by retaining core functions of inline email routing, enforcement, and delivery within the Sentrion, while at the same time, leveraging a single, unified DLP policy engine to inspect and modify email messages for enforcement based on the organization’s security policy,” said Stephanie Nevin, vice president of marketing, Sendmail.
Key Features in the Sentrion Connect for Symantec Data Loss Prevention App:
• Minimizes impact to the messaging architecture by retaining core functions of email routing, enforcement, and delivery within the Sentrion-based email backbone.
• Enables Information Security to leverage a single, unified DLP policy engine to detect and tag email messages for enforcement based on the organization’s security policy.
• Provides clear separation of duties between the Messaging and Information Security teams for extending an existing DLP solution to provide uninterrupted inline email policy enforcement.
• Enables organizations to more effectively leverage complimentary applications from the Sentrion App Store for data protection. Applications include S/MIME Secure Messaging, Voltage IBE Encryption, Rpost Registered Mail, and more.
• Maintains message ownership within the Sentrion for after-the-fact comprehensive auditing and tracking of the status of every message traversing the organization.
“Our customers want to be able to integrate their Data Loss Prevention systems with their messaging infrastructure,” said Ben Yang, senior product manager, Symantec. “This new App simplifies the configuration of Sendmail Sentrion with Symantec Data Loss Prevention, making it easier for enterprise IT messaging teams to deploy DLP.”
The Sentrion Connect for Symantec Data Loss Prevention App is available in the Partners section of the Sentrion Application Store.