Virtual Event Today: CodeSecCon - Learn to Secure Your Software > Join Event
Connect with us

Hi, what are you looking for?

SecurityWeekSecurityWeek

Cybercrime

Romanian Sentenced to 21-months for Payment Card Theft

After pleading guilty last September, the US Department of Justice said on Tuesday that Cezar Butu, of Ploiesti, Romania, has been sentenced to 21-months in prison for his admitted role in a Web-based scam targeting payment card data.

After pleading guilty last September, the US Department of Justice said on Tuesday that Cezar Butu, of Ploiesti, Romania, has been sentenced to 21-months in prison for his admitted role in a Web-based scam targeting payment card data.

Butu accepted a plea agreement last year, which involved him pleading guilty to the charges against him in exchange for the sentence he has received. Butu accepted his agreement on the same day that one of his co-conspirators, Iulian Dolan, of Craiova, Romania, did. Dolan will be sentenced in April.

In 2009, continuing into 2011, Butu and the others he was working with targeted systems in the U.S. in order to steal credit card information. The goal was to use the harvested data to make fraudulent purchases or transfer funds. The group scanned the Web for POS stations with vulnerable or poorly protected remote administration software. When they discovered said systems, they would access them and install information stealing malware.

According to prosecutors, the case involved more than 146,000 compromised cards and more than $10 million in losses. According to Butu’s plea agreement, he attempted to sell, or otherwise transfer, the stolen payment card data to other co-conspirators for them to make unauthorized purchases and transfer funds. In addition, he admitted to acquiring stolen payment card data belonging to approximately 140 cardholders during the course of the scheme.

As mentioned, the plea agreement included a sentence of 21 months for Butu, and the other who pled guilty with him last September, Dolan, will be sentenced in April. A third co-conspirator, Adrian-Tiberiu Oprea, has a trial scheduled in February.

For anyone keeping score, this case is related to the Subway breach that was reported in 2009.

Advertisement. Scroll to continue reading.
Written By

Daily Briefing Newsletter

Subscribe to the SecurityWeek Email Briefing for the latest cybersecurity threats, trends, and expert insights.

Click to comment

Trending

Daily Briefing Newsletter

Subscribe to the SecurityWeek Email Briefing to stay informed on the latest threats, trends, and technology, along with insightful columns from industry experts.

Join this live webinar as we explore if detection-first security operations can keep pace with AI, or if it’s time to rethink prevention as the strongest default.

Register

CodeSecCon bridges the gap between dev and security. Discover best practices for secure coding, innovative risk-reduction tools, and safe AI integration to cultivate a true DevSecOps culture. Safely secure your apps!

Register

People on the Move

Daniel Dubowski has been named Senior Vice President and Chief Information Security Officer at Marriott International.

Allied Universal has named Jordan Avnaim Global Chief Information Security Officer.

Cycode has promoted Seth Robbins to President and Chief Revenue Officer.

More People On The Move

Expert Insights

Daily Briefing Newsletter

Subscribe to the SecurityWeek Email Briefing to stay informed on the latest cybersecurity news, threats, and expert insights. Unsubscribe at any time.