Infonetics Research has shared excerpts from its Mobile Device Security Client Software market size and forecasts report, which tracks enterprise and consumer security client software for mobile devices.
In its latest report, the market research firm estimates that over the next 5 years, more than 7 billion new smartphones and tablets will ship worldwide, resulting in increased sales of mobile device security client software to top $2.9 billion by 2017.
According to the biannual mobile security client report from Infonetics Research:
• Worldwide revenue for mobile security clients rose 58.7% in 2012, to $964 million
• North America, which leads spending in nearly every security market Infonetics tracks, isn’t expected to take the revenue lead in the mobile security client space until 2016-2017
• The CAGR for consumer clients from 2012 to 2017 (28%) is forecast by Infonetics to outpace that of enterprise clients (20%)
• There are currently many players in the mobile security client market, including familiar names Symantec, McAfee, Kaspersky, Trend Micro, Juniper, and Citrix, but no breakaway leader
• Enterprise vendors with major footprints in SSL VPNs such as Cisco, Juniper, F5, SonicWALL, and Check Point are anticipated to use mobile SSL VPN clients as a wedge to enter the larger mobile security client space
“Real threats to mobile devices are active in the wild, pushing mobile security top of mind for enterprises and consumers looking to manage and protect the data and applications on their mobile devices,” said Jeff Wilson, principal analyst for security at Infonetics Research in a statement.
Related Reading: Dealing with Mobility and BYOD Security? Start with The Network
Related Reading: BYOD – One Size Risks All
Related Reading: BYOD- The Flash Mob of Network Security