Security Experts:

Connect with us

Hi, what are you looking for?

SecurityWeekSecurityWeek

Data Protection

Microsoft: Just Three Enterprises Impacted by Law Enforcement Requests in 2H 2014

Microsoft on Friday published its bi-annual Law Enforcement Requests Report and U.S. National Security Orders Report for the first half of 2014.

Microsoft on Friday published its bi-annual Law Enforcement Requests Report and U.S. National Security Orders Report for the first half of 2014.

In its transparency report, Microsoft said that the total number of law enforcement requests received in the second half of 2014 was 31,002, bringing to the total for the year to 65,496, down from 72,279 in 2013. 

During the same period, Microsoft said it only received three requests from law enforcement for thirty-two users associated with an enterprise cloud customer.

“In two cases, the requests were rejected or law enforcement was successfully redirected to the customer,” Microsoft said. “In the third case, the customer was notified of the legal demand and the customer directed Microsoft to provide responsive information to law enforcement.

Microsoft describes a consumer service as individuals subscribing to services such as Hotmail/Outlook.com, OneDrive, Xbox Live and Skype. Enterprise customers were described as those organizations or entities (commercial, government or educational) that purchase more than 50 seats for Microsoft’s commercial cloud offerings, such as Office 365, Azure and Exchange Online and CRM Online.

Of the data provided to law enforcement, which requires a court order or a warrant, 3 percent was content customers created, shared or stored on Microsoft services, such as email. The remaining 97 percent of data disclosed was non-content data, Microsoft said, including things such name, email address, email address, name, state, country, ZIP code and IP address captured at the time of registration.

“While we saw little change from the proceeding period in the overall number of law enforcement and government requests for Microsoft customer data, the world around us continues to change,” John Frank, Microsoft VP and Deputy General Counsel, noted in a blog post.

“In the 14 months since the government agreed to greater transparency for reporting national security orders, we’ve seen new threats emerge around the globe. We’re also seeing officials around the world try to limit security measures such as encryption without making progress on the stronger legal protections that people deserve,” Frank continued. “The bottom line is that while governments only request data on a very small fraction of our customers, governments are seeking to alter the balance between privacy and public safety in a way that impacts everyone.

“As we have said before, there are times when law enforcement authorities need to access data to protect the public. However, that access should be governed by the rule of law, and not by mandating backdoors or weakening the security of our products and services used by millions of law abiding customers. This should concern all of us.”

Written By

For more than 10 years, Mike Lennon has been closely monitoring the threat landscape and analyzing trends in the National Security and enterprise cybersecurity space. In his role at SecurityWeek, he oversees the editorial direction of the publication and is the Director of several leading security industry conferences around the world.

Click to comment

Expert Insights

Related Content

Application Security

Cycode, a startup that provides solutions for protecting software source code, emerged from stealth mode on Tuesday with $4.6 million in seed funding.

Cybercrime

The FBI dismantled the network of the prolific Hive ransomware gang and seized infrastructure in Los Angeles that was used for the operation.

Ransomware

The Hive ransomware website has been seized as part of an operation that involved law enforcement in 10 countries.

Ransomware

US government reminds the public that a reward of up to $10 million is offered for information on cybercriminals, including members of the Hive...

Application Security

Many developers and security people admit to having experienced a breach effected through compromised API credentials.

Application Security

Electric car maker Tesla is using the annual Pwn2Own hacker contest to incentivize security researchers to showcase complex exploit chains that can lead to...

Cybercrime

The owner of China-based cryptocurrency exchange Bitzlato was arrested in Miami along with five associates in Europe

Cybersecurity Funding

Los Gatos, Calif-based data protection and privacy firm Titaniam has raised $6 million seed funding from Refinery Ventures, with participation from Fusion Fund, Shasta...