Connect with us

Hi, what are you looking for?

SecurityWeekSecurityWeek

Cybercrime

LulzSec Hacker-FBI Informant Sabu Walks Free

US Hacker-FBI Informant Walks Free

NEW YORK – A hacker who directed hundreds of cyber attacks on corporations and foreign governments before turning FBI informant walked free Tuesday after being handed a symbolic seven-month sentence.

US Hacker-FBI Informant Walks Free

NEW YORK – A hacker who directed hundreds of cyber attacks on corporations and foreign governments before turning FBI informant walked free Tuesday after being handed a symbolic seven-month sentence.

Hector Xavier Monsegur, better known by his screen name “Sabu”, was first arrested in 2011 and had already served seven months in jail before being released on bail in December 2012.

The original charges could have landed him in prison for decades but the government asked for him to be exempt from even a mandatory minimum sentence given his “extraordinary cooperation.”

Before walking out of the US federal court a free man, he told the judge that he would not see him back.

“I came a long way I assure you… I am not the same person I was,” he said, wearing a black polo shirt and gray jogging pants.

Advertisement. Scroll to continue reading.

Sabu and fellow plotters carried out hacks that cost companies tens of millions of dollars, defaced websites and stole personal information of customers or employees, court papers said.

The New Yorker was a prominent hacker with the activist group Anonymous, which has staged cyber assaults on MasterCard, PayPal and other commercial and government targets.

After his arrest he became a Federal Bureau of Investigation informant, helping to foil or limit 300 cyber attacks that could have caused millions of dollars of damage, prosecutors said.

His information also led to multiple attrests and sentencings of hackers, they added.

He pleaded guilty to nine counts of computer hacking and one count each of credit card fraud, conspiring to commit bank fraud and aggravated identity theft.

He had admitted to being involved in cyber attacks on MasterCard, PayPal and Visa and on the Algerian, Tunisian, Yemeni and Zimbabwean governments.

He set up Anonymous offshoot Lulz Security, or LulzSec, which in 2011 engaged in major hacks into and theft from computer servers of US and foreign corporations.

Its victims included Fox Television, compromising a database of contestants in reality show “X-Factor,” the website of US public broadcaster PBS, the US Senate and an affiliate of the FBI.

The New York Times reported last month that he directed hundreds of cyber attacks against the websites of governments in Brazil, Iran, Pakistan, Syria and Turkey.

It was unclear who ordered the attacks, but the newspaper said court documents and interviews suggest the government “may have” used hackers to gather intelligence overseas.

Monsegur instructed fellow hacker Jeremy Hammond, who was sentenced to 10 years in jail by a US federal judge last November, to extract data from foreign government websites.

That information, including bank records and login details, was uploaded to a server “monitored” by the FBI, the Times reported.

*Updated with additional background and Monsegur quote

Written By

AFP 2023

Click to comment

Trending

Daily Briefing Newsletter

Subscribe to the SecurityWeek Email Briefing to stay informed on the latest threats, trends, and technology, along with insightful columns from industry experts.

Organizations are investing heavily in third-party risk management, but breaches, delays, and blind spots continue to persist. Join this live webinar as we examine the gap between how organizations think their third-party risk programs are performing and what’s actually happening in practice.

Register

Delve into big-picture strategies to reduce attack surfaces, improve patch management, conduct post-incident forensics, and tools and tricks needed in a modern organization.

Register

People on the Move

Tim Byrd has been appointed Chief Information Security Officer at First Citizens Bank.

IRONSCALES has named Steve McKenzie as Chief Operating Officer.

Silvio Pappalardo has joined AuthMind as Chief Revenue Officer.

More People On The Move

Expert Insights

Daily Briefing Newsletter

Subscribe to the SecurityWeek Email Briefing to stay informed on the latest cybersecurity news, threats, and expert insights. Unsubscribe at any time.