BT has launched a new managed security service designed to provide customers with the full development, management and operation of an enterprise information security team.
The service, called the virtual Chief Security Officer (vCSO), was designed to help security executives address the growing challenge of managing a world-class security function, the company said.
With vCSO from BT Advise Assure, an organization can take advantage of a full service that covers all the duties of a Chief Security Officer (CSO) at a lower cost, enabling them to better balance security demands with strategic business needs.
“With the pace of change in business and technology advances today, it’s never been harder to protect your business. However, for most businesses, IT resources are already constrained and there may be no budget to hire a dedicated security professional,” said Bas Burger, president of US & Canada at BT Global Services.
The vCSO service can be tailored to fit the unique needs of each company, BT said, and is available on both a project basis for specific security initiatives, including emergency scenarios, as well as an on-going retainer for more long-term support.
Specific areas where a vCSO can help include:
• Development, implementation and updates of global security policies, standards, guidelines and procedures.
• Reviewing current IT risk assessment processes and conducting Rapid Risk Assessments (RRA) to determine vulnerabilities in the business.
• Designing an information security program roadmap to support specific business requirements.
• Managing and directing the team of security professionals and vendors that maintain the IT infrastructure, including network connectivity, Internet presence, applications and servers, clients, networked devices, wireless, telephony, e-business, IDS, anti-virus, authentication, authorization and firewalls.
• Leading internal management teams across different business functions, internal security councils and governance forums.
• Acting as a consultant and liaison to other IT groups on security matters.
“While many companies are looking at how to build this role into their future organizations, BT has already been thinking about how to solve this problem,” Burger said. “With our vCSO service, companies can get the expert, board-level resources they need to drive security, compliance and governance programs without a costly staffing investment.”