A Moscow court on Saturday remanded eight hackers in custody for two months as Russia cracks down on the REvil cybercrime group at Washington’s request.
Eight members of the prominent hacking group REvil were ordered by Moscow’s Tverskoi district court to remain in custody until mid-March, the court said.
They could face up to seven years in prison if convicted.
[ Read: Russia Lays the Smackdown on REvil Ransomware Gang ]
On Friday, Russia said it had dismantled the hacking group REvil, which carried out a high-profile attack last year on US software firm Kaseya, following a request from Washington.
Russia’s Federal Security Service (FSB) said it had “suppressed the illegal activities” of members of the group during raids on 25 addresses that swept up 14 people.
Cybersecurity was one of the main issues on the agenda of a summit meeting between Russian President Vladimir Putin and US President Joe Biden last year.
The FSB said members of the group had “developed malware and organized the embezzlement of funds from the bank accounts of foreign citizens”.

More from AFP
- Dutch, European Hospitals ‘Hit by Pro-Russian Hackers’
- Cyberattacks Target Websites of German Airports, Admin
- Meta Slapped With 5.5 Million Euro Fine for EU Data Breach
- International Arrests Over ‘Criminal’ Crypto Exchange
- France Regulator Raps Apple Over App Store Ads
- More Political Storms for TikTok After US Government Ban
- Meta Hit With 390 Million Euro Fine Over EU Data Breaches
- Facebook Agrees to Pay $725 Million to Settle Privacy Suit
Latest News
- Fraudulent “CryptoRom” Apps Slip Through Apple and Google App Store Review Process
- US Downs Chinese Balloon Off Carolina Coast
- Microsoft: Iran Unit Behind Charlie Hebdo Hack-and-Leak Op
- Feds Say Cyberattack Caused Suicide Helpline’s Outage
- Big China Spy Balloon Moving East Over US, Pentagon Says
- Former Ubiquiti Employee Who Posed as Hacker Pleads Guilty
- Cyber Insights 2023: Venture Capital
- Atlassian Warns of Critical Jira Service Management Vulnerability
