According to the Associated Press, officials at Guantanamo Bay prison halted access to Wi-Fi, as well as social media this week, due to security concerns that arose after Anonymous pledged to stand in solidarity with prisoners who are currently on a hunger strike.
Calling it the “Guantanamo Bay concentration camp,” in a statement released earlier this month, Anonymous called for support in getting the base shutdown, starting with protests scheduled to have started last weekend.
“We are outraged. We, the people and Anonymous, will not allow the most expensive prison on earth to be run without any respect for international laws. We stand in solidarity with the Guantanamo hunger strikers. We will shut down Guantanamo…,” the statement said.
“On May 17 to May 19, to coincide with the 100th day of the hunger strike, we urge everyone to join global actions on the ground and hacktivist protests as well as twitterstorms, email bombs, and fax bombs, in 3 days of nonstop action.”
The problem, which was pointed out to many Anons supporting OpGTMO, is that the base’s access to the Web is rather limited. However, that didn’t stop base commanders from overreacting somewhat.
According to the Associated Press, officials shutdown wireless internet service at Guantanamo, and restricted access to Twitter and Facebook. In a statement to the news service, the proactive shutdown was directly related to the published plans by Anonymous.
As of Tuesday, Lt Col Samuel House told the AP that no disruptions had been reported or observed. Online Anonymous has scattered support on Twitter, as the awareness messages and the hashtags planned for a “twitter” bomb failed to trend.