Symantec today released the latest version of its consumer-focused mobile security offering, Norton Mobile Security. The latest version adds support for iOS devices, the ability to backup contacts, an improved user experience, and helps recover a lost or stolen device and prevent unauthorized user from accessing their data.
Norton Mobile Security offers new and improved features including:
· Multi-Device, Multi-Platform Support – Now protects a consumer’s multiple devices, including Android smartphones and tablets, as well as iPhones and iPads
· Contacts Backup & Restore – Saves contacts from a user’s Android or iOS device so that they can be easily restored if lost or deleted. Contacts can also be restored across devices
· Web-Based Management – Lets consumers control the security of their devices via the Web
· Audio Alert To Location Device – Ability to sound an audible alarm to help find missing mobile device.
· Remote Locate – Displays the location of a lost or stolen device on a map
While many of these features are important for users to have, keep in mind that many of them are already available for free using functions such as Apple’s “Find My iPhone” or iCloud. That being said, Norton Mobile Security does offer several additional features such as mobile malware protection, a special "lost mode" function that uses the device’s camera to take a photo of someone that may using your device. For mobile phones, Norton Mobile Security provides the ability to block calls and text messages from specific people or phone numbers.
Available immediately, Norton Mobile Security is priced at $29.99. Additionally, the company said its Norton 360 Multi-Device and Norton One products would be updated with the latest release of Norton Mobile Security. Existing customers with a valid product subscription are eligible to receive the latest product updates.